1/2 yellow onion, sliced
4 Tbsp. butter, cubed
2 slices American cheese
- Start the tomato soup. Put butter in a pan. Sautee sliced onions and garlic until soft.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and sprig of basil. Bring to a boil. Put lid on.
- Turn down to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- While that cooks you’re going to prep your garnishes: put cheesy crackers in a bag and crush them.
- Slice the basil garnish.
- Assemble grilled cheese. Put 2 pieces of bread in a pan with butter and get some color on them. Flip the pieces bread. Put cheese on toasted sides and melt. Combine and remove from heat when you feel it’s ready.
- Pull basil out of soup. Put soup in blender. Add heavy cream as it blends. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. 30 seconds to blend.
- Pour soup in a bowl. Garnish soup with crushed cheez-its and basil.
- Cut sandwich in half and put on same plate as soup.