6'1 (185.4 cm)"
Westlake HS '06 Michigan '10
Height: 6-1 (185.4 cm)
Residence: Ann Arbor, Mich.
High School: Westlake HS '06
College: Michigan '10
College Major: Mathematics
Coached By: Bob Bowman
Club: University Of Michigan
Earned a bronze medal in the 200m BR at the 2007 Pan American Games...had a dynamic year in 2005: took seventh in the 200m breast at both ConocoPhillips Summer Nationals and World Championship Trials...captured silver on the 400m medley relay and bronze in the 200m breast at Junior Pan Pacs; also took sixth in the 100m breast...in 2004, placed eighth in the 200m breast at CP Summer Nationals.
- Pan Ams History: 2007: Bronze, 200m BR
- NCAA History: 2007(Fr): 8, 200y BR; 9, 400y MR-R; 13, 100y BR; 17, 200y MR-R
- 2007 World Rankings: 46th, 200m breast; 84th, 50m breast; 95th, 100m breast
- 2006 World Rankings: 97th, 100m breast; 84th, 200m breast
- 2005 World Rankings: 97th, 200m breast
Holds NAG (10 & under) in 100y BR, set at NAG Records
- National Teams: 2005 National Junior Team
- Collegiate: 2007 NCAA All-American
- High School: 2005-06 Texas High School Swimmer of the Year...2006 high school national champion in the 100y breast...three-time 18-and-under national champion in the 100y and 200y breast.
- Age Group: Set 10 & under NAG record in 100y breast in 1999
- Parents: Beth and Scott Spann...Scott was an All-American and NCAA champion at Texas in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s; he held five American records and five world records and won a bronze medal at the 1979 Pan American Games
- Sibling(s): Older sister (Alexi) swims for Texas and won a gold medal at the 2003 Pan American Games ..older brother (Austin) attended Blinn College
- Future Professional Aspirations: Financial manager or swim coach
- Started Swimming: At age 5..."I was born to swim."
- Sports Played Before Swimming: Baseball, soccer
- Nickname(s): "Sonny"..."Mom named me Sonny at birth and I held it till I was in third grade."
- Pet(s): Has two dogs...Sugar is a four-year-old White Lab and Bear is a two-year-old Toy Poodle
- Hobbies Outside the Pool: Playing video games
- Ultimate Way to Relax: Plaing video games, watching TV, taking a nap
- Most Influential Person: Parents and Coach Randy Reese because he is "always pushing and motivating me."
- Training Stats: Swims 9,000 meters/yards per day, 3 hours a day, 6 days a week
- More: Speaks French and Spanish
- Favorites: Movies: the "Rocky" series...TV shows: "South Park," "Who's Line is it Anyway?"